Robotics Qualifying: Marlbots & Curiosity Advance to Regional Championship
On Sunday, our four robotics teams traveled to Monrovia for a Qualifying Tournament that included 21 teams from Southern California. Our US teams got off to a great start in the robot game but ultimately stumbled in the semi-final rounds. However, our teams represented themselves and Marlborough exceptionally well, racking up a huge number of judged accolades (note that each team can only get 1st in one award; Inspire trumps all awards for advancement eligibility);
- 1st Place Inspire Award for best overall team that is strong in both technical and non-technical award categories.
- 2nd Place Think award for an outstanding Engineering Portfolio that clearly articulated their team’s journey and robot design.
- 2nd Place Motivate Award for outreach to non-STEM communities
- 2nd Place Design Award for overall robot design and construction.
- 3rd Place Promote Award for a compelling PSA style video that promotes the FIRST Tech Challenge.
- Qualified 1st in Robot Game, formed #1 seeded alliance. Ultimately knocked out in the semi-final round.
- 2nd Place Inspire Award given to the 2nd best overall team that is strong in both technical and non-technical award categories.
- 1st Place Think Award for an outstanding Engineering Portfolio that clearly articulated their team’s journey and robot design.
- 3rd Place Connect Award for connecting and learning with members of the engineering and alumnae community
- 2nd Place Control Award for incorporating sensors and ‘intelligent control’ to improve robot performance
- Qualified 5th in Robot Game, joined #2 seeded alliance. Ultimately knocked out in the semi-final round.
The Inspire awards qualify Marlbots and Curiosity for the Regional Championship on March 12th, which will bring together the top 36 teams from around Southern California. Though our MS teams (Cosmos and Asteria) didn’t advance, they performed admirably and gained valuable experience in their first in-person Qualifying Tournament.
SoCal FTC Website
Freight Frenzy Game Video